CONA is an organization of concerned nurses and other health care professionals who are involved in the field of orthopaedics.
How do I join?
It's easy! Choose either of two ways:
Click here to register online and follow the instructions
What is the cost to join?
- $100.00 per year for registered nurses, licensed practical nurses and registered practical nurses.
- $75.00 per year for other members of the medical profession.
- $50.00 pr year for those working towards their INITIAL licensure
- $35.00 per year for retired members.
- Memberships run from June 1 to May 31.
- NEW - Special Discounted Subscription Rate to Orthopaedic Nursing. Information to subscribe will be on the members section of the website.
- NEW - 40% Discount on Annual Subscription to the International Journal of Orthopaedic & Trauma Nursing - 2018. Information on how to subscribe will be on the members section of the website.
- To promote a high standard of practice in orthopaedic nursing.
- To encourage professional growth and development by attending monthly education sessions pertaining to orthopaedic issues.
- To share ideas and knowledge of advances in the treatment and rehabilitation of orthopaedic patients; locally, provincially, nationally and internationally.
- To participate at or help your local chapter host a national conference.
- To receive Orthoscope, our national newsletter informing you of current happenings in orthopaedic nursing.
- To have a voice in the changing and challenging environment of orthopaedic nursing.
- To profit greatly from the alliances and friendships formed by networking with other individuals involved in orthopaedic nursing.
- Qualify for CONA Awards.
- Because we have a lot of fun!
Awards for Members
Another benefit of our very low-cost membership is that members are eligible to apply for many different scholarships and continuing education awards available through our organization.
Philosophy of Awards
The Canadian Orthopaedic Nurses Association believes that nurses who provide care to individuals with neuromuscular and skeletal disorders require a specific body of knowledge and skills to deliver the highest standard of care.
CONA believes that this knowledge is acquired, maintained and advanced through basic knowledge, continuing education, practice and research. In support of this philosophy, awards have been provided to be used for the continuing education of CONA members and for the recognition of members? contributions to the orthopaedic nursing and patient community.
2017 Available Awards
CONA Certification Bursaries *NEW*
4 bursaries to help members with the cost of Orthopaedic certification / renewal. There will be 3 (three) bursaries of $570 towards the cost of initial certification and 1 (one) bursary of $365 to put towards the cost of re-certification in both the fall and spring writing sessions. For more information click here.
CONA Conference Grant
These grants are to assist members to attend National Conference - Four awards of $400.00
CONA Excellence in Orthopaedic Nursing Practice Award
Candidate is nominated by colleagues to recognize and reward an individual?s commitment and involvement in the specialty of Orthopaedic Nursing. - One free CONA membership for one year, certificate of recognition, invitation to the Presidents reception at Conference
Dr. Cy Frank Canadian Orthopaedic Association (COA) Literary Award
Awarded to a CONA member who is author or co-author of manuscript and published in the last year in the Orthroscope newsletter or health related journal - One award of $250.00
"Up and Coming" Orthopaedic Nurse Award
This award is to foster the development of continuing education in the field of orthopaedic nursing - One award of $500.00. This award is to be used for Educational purposes
CONA Speakers Fund Award
These awards are sponsored by CONA members to share their expertise and knowledge - Two awards of $500.00 These awards are to cover the cost of registration, travel or accommodation for a CONA member to present.
Lifetime Achievement Award
To honour an individual elected by Board Members in recognition of the nurses contributions to CONA. Click here for the nomination form to be completed for this award - One award per year. Includes Certificate of Achievement, invitation to the Presidents Reception, and Conference Registration paid for year awarded.
Eligibility of Awards
- All applicants must be regular CONA members (Registered Nurse and Licensed Practical Nurse).
- All applications must be signed by a member of the local Chapter executive or by an immediate supervisor for members-at-large.
- All applications are sent to the Chairperson of Continuing Education on the National Board and must be received by the deadline date. The Board reserves the right to extend deadlines and to encourage members to apply for awards.
- All recipients are approved by the Board.